How in the world did you turn 3 years old? I can’t even remember what it was like when you were a baby. You are officially a big kid!
* You are one of the kindest, compassionate 3 years olds I know. You express true empathy for others, and remorse whenever you get in trouble for something that has hurt someone else. You ask Daddy and I: “You sad?”, “You mad?”.
* Your favorite song to sing at night before we go to sleep is “Twinkle Twinkle Little Dinosaur”. It’s basically like the original song, except we substitute “star” for “dinosaur”. You came up with it and think it’s so funny. You request it every. single. night.
* Speaking of dinosaurs, they are one of your favorite things at the moment. It started with a green dinosaur (who is now named “Daddy”, most of the time) I found at the thrift store, and has continued with several more dinosaurs, the movie “The Land Before Time”, a fun dinosaur display we saw at the zoo this year, various books, etc. At night when we ask who you want to pray for, you often say “Dinosaurs”, so we work it in by thanking God for His creation! Haha! You also have a pretty impressive dinosaur roar, which you like to show everyone, even little babies and numerous strangers.
* You are a really picky eater. Your diet consists of mostly chicken nuggets, cheese, bread, ketchup, some dried fruit, peanut butter, pizza, and various crackers and such. You also love milk. Your doctor told me you are healthy and growing so I try to remind myself of that when you won’t touch any vegetables or fruits. Sigh.
* You and you Daddy have the most fun together. A couple of days ago you played an elaborate game of “Pirates”, complete with newspaper swords and hats, lots of fake dying (with kisses to be revived), and phrases like “Arrggh me matey”, “Come at thee”, and “On guard”. It was so cute to watch. I’m so thankful you have such a wonderful Daddy!
* Some of your favorite things to do are: go to the park, go eat lunch and play (the only playplace around here is at a Burger King), go swimming, do crafts, play with playdoh, go to church, and go to the library.
* You tell me all the time “I love you, Mom” and “You are my best friend”. On your birthday, as you were eating chocolate birthday cake for breakfast you said over and over “Best birthday ever!”.
* You call dresses “Dance”. As in, “Put on my dance and go to church?”
* Everywhere we go you know no stranger. At the park you see kids and say “Hi guys!”, like you’ve known them forever. It usually works, and you end up having a new friend to play with. When we walk by people at the grocery store you stop them and say “Hi, my name’s Adelaide”. Of course they don’t understand you because it sounds like you’re saying “Addaayy”, and then when I tell them your actual name they say “Adeline?”, “Addie”, “Analee”, etc. Big sigh…
* You love everything about church, but especially singing in the Pastor Pals on Sunday nights. You run up there, and then proceed to move around steps (we are working on that…), and then yell “I’m on top, Mom!!”. Everyone laughs because you are so cute. Then when you come back to our seat you exclaim “Mom, I sing!”
* You love helping us do dishes, or laundry, and are really cooperative when it’s time to pick up your toys. You obey really well, although we are currently working on whining.
* For the past 3ish months we’ve been living with Nana, as we are trying to get settled in Illinois, and it’s been an interesting transition for you. You now sleep in the same room with us (after loving your own space and your own bed since you were born), potty training has been delayed, and for a while you were constantly asking to go home. However, you have been loving seeing Nana everyday. Your favorite games to play with her right now are “Doctor” and “Baby”.
* I expected your hair to have turned brown by now, but it is still blond! It will be interesting to see how long it lasts, or if you will be blond until adulthood! You hair is long enough now for ponytails, and sometimes I can get a braid to stay in a little while. I love playing with you hair, but you act pretty aggravated at me when I do. :)
* Your bath time preferences are water-coloring tablets, dinosaurs, a water can, towels with hoods, and to have your wet feet kissed by Mom as dad carries you to get dressed. Daddy still hums the Star Wars Imperial March song to you as he’s carrying you. You’ve heard it so many times now, you usually hum along too.
We can’t imagine what life would be like without you in it. Daddy and I talk all the time about how you are the most beautiful girl in the world, the smartest, the coolest kid ever, and any other hyperbolic statement you can think of. I still pat your little butt-butt whenever you are sleeping (only because you won’t let me when you are awake). We love you with all our hearts!